Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Spread Your Tiny Wings And Fly Away


This time last year a great belt of snow was sweeping south across Britain and even London was in for a good dusting. November 2011 it seems will bow out in more traditional drizzle and gloom.

Have your parents musical tastes left a lasting legacy on you? These people think so (thanks Simon for pointing me at the piece). Tim Jonze's bit in particular leapt out at me because I have that very Country Classics record he mentions and I like that he called Anne Murray's 'Snowbird' a 'beautiful song', because it is.

It was written by the Canadian singer-songwriter Gene MacLellan, the rest of whose oeuvre I'm afraid has passed me by.

We shouldn't let its 70s Radio 2 JY Prog playlist associations blind us to its brilliance.

I'd love to hear Richard Hawley have a go at it.

See ya then, November.

Anne Murray - 'Snowbird' (1970)

18 comments:

  1. I've got Elvis doing Snowbird in the collection - it must be on Youtube..

    Be warned he is on the wobble by this time though

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I may have mentioned before my father has a terrible taste in music, Lena Martell and pish like that, although I did get a love of Kris Kristofferson, Simon and Garfunkel and Misty from my mum.

    I fear my father will like that, Mr H. Nuff said I think.

    Right no more putting it off, I'm away to fucking Luton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may be winter outside ..
    but in my heart ..
    it's .. er .. well, winter, really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mum's collection was Elvis and rocknroll and country; so I know this inside out without even needing to listen. My dad was a soul freak, neither of them were massive Beatles fans - my mum thought they were drippy compared to her rocknroll.

    That piece, especially Jude Roger's piece on Ralph McTell for some reason made me want to blub a little bit which wasn't good on the 730 into Paddington!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bought an Ann Murray album in a charity shop cos I liked the sleeve a while back. Will have to go listen to it now

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crikey. Maybe you got some Canadian in ya, SA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this tune heard it before by a feller but cant place the name. my mum and dads record collection was mainly ska and reggae, my dad worked on the buse so all his mates got him well into it in the sixtys and seventys,great partys round are houseand guess who nicked them all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wel i never. i thought this was one that'd passed me by till i heard the very first seconds. straight back to the radiogram and the shagpile. lovely.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. WTF? Anne Murray? The JY Prog? I look forward to the Helen Reddy post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS Thanks for posting. We had that LP.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The only Helen Reddy I've got is 'Angie Baby' - but that's a cracker.

    ReplyDelete
  12. PS: glen! Thanks so much for the Two Banks Of Four tip; I bought 'Three Street Worlds' and *heart* it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For some reason I bought Angie Baby back in the days when I only bought one or two singles a year. I sold it a few years later but now wish I hadn't. I had fond memories of Snowbird but to be honest when I listened to it last night I thought it was crap.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just be glad I didn't comment on that awful Wildwood remix.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.