Thursday, August 02, 2007

Into The Blue


We rise tomorrow at 0400h ("What does the '0' stand for? O my God it's early!") to begin a long journey south in search of the sun, chasing the blue - we're headed to deepest, quietest, not much-happens-here-miles-from-the-nearest-supermarket SW rural France for two weeks.

I am not 'wireless-enabled' and all that mallarkey and besides, My Lovely Wife is fearsome when roused and My Lovely Daughters are expecting full participation in swimming pool capers, so there will be no whilst-on-holiday blogging for me.

I will save you my thrilling anecdotes for my return.

As I dropped in on all my favourite nooks and crannies of the blogosphere last night, leaving probably slightly drunken messages here and there (red wine) I did come over a bit unnecessary. A year ago I knew none of you, and now I consider you my friends and I will miss you while I'm gone.

Even some of you guys that stumble in here from Google looking for a Bob Dylan fansite or some Nick Drake bootlegs (sorry) and end up staying for a bit are going to get a shout out from me too.

Anyway, sorry to be joining the ever-expanding band of your regulars who have posted 'gone away' notices on their front windows, but I need a holiday and we'll both be better for a break. It's not you, it's me. I just need some time to myself. Etc, etc.

My attempts to put together some sort of summer special mix stalled in their infancy I'm afraid, mostly because I have been too busy enjoying Ally's genius one to do my own (it'll be the first thing we play on the car stereo as we roll off the ferry on the French side Ally).

But do you remember EPs? Four track 7 inches, usually following ye ancient principles of good gigs and good classical musical thingies - a mood but also some contrasts, some faster ones, some slower ones?

Well here's one for you, with love.

(Actually, dammit, there aren't any fast ones - it's a bit hippy/stoner. I go a bit hippy/stoner when I'm on me hols).

The Into The Blue EP (2007)

Stevie Wonder - ' A Place In The Sun' (1966)
John Martyn - 'One World' (1977)
Paddy McAloon - 'Sleeping Rough' (2003)
David Gilmour - 'The Blue' (2006)

[music from this, this, this and this]

Look after yourselves and those who count on you. We're back August 20th.
x

10 comments:

  1. Bon voyage. We’ll keep the blogosphere ticking over while you’re gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Capable hands Mick. Fiat Lux are on the in-car CD too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zut alors Davy, mangetout old lad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pot pourri Rodders, pot pourri.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your vacation, Davy. We respect and honor your need for space. And thanks for the Stevie track. I had previously only heard this in a reggae version on the Tighten Up comp. Did Stevie write this? Great song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, Ron Miller wrote 'A Place In The Sun', but I don't think anybody could do it better. Davy, come back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good info & stuff on your blog for music lovers.

    Stop by my quarters in cyberspace. Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

    SoulFunkLifestyles Universally Converging !!!
    Visit us anytime at http://SoulFunkLifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. So where was my slightly drunken message then??? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emmett - bless you dear boy.

    Steve - excellent editorial intervention in my absence there matey, thanks hugely: meet Emmett! He rocks!

    Soul Funk Lifestyles - why thank you, I will stop buy your gaff forthwith my friend.

    Aaaah. It's nice to be back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS: Steve - you have been the recipient of slightly drunken messages previously and I'm sure you will again ere long mi amigo.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.